Yes, I do give lessons. It doesn’t matter whether you’ve never turned anything before or whether you’ve turned for a while.
- You may be considering woodturning as a hobby. If so, I’d recommend a few lessons just to make sure that you like it before you invest in any equipment.
- You may have done some turning before, but many years ago and want a simple refresher.
- You may be a turner and just need to brush up on a particular skill.
What you need to know…
- My workshop has limited space and all lessons are therefore one-to-one. If you want to bring a friend you are welcome, but if you both want to have a go, then only one person can be on the lathe at a time.
- I do not teach a set syllabus or course, but tailor each lesson specifically to the pupil and what you make during the lesson(s) will depend largely on your own preferences. It would also depend on why you are having the lesson(s). If you are a beginner then please note that any first projects will be quite basic.
- I prefer to give lessons during normal working hours, but can make exceptions if necessary.
- All lessons are charged at a rate of £20 per hour. Timber is included, but any craft parts may be charged for.
- Most pupils come to me (Knebworth) and use my lathe and tools. If you have your own turning tools, then please bring them. Even if you don’t use them, we can make sure that you know how to sharpen them correctly. Coffee or tea is always available and if you are coming for a half day or longer then I’ll also provide a light lunch.
- If you have your own lathe and tools, then I am also happy to come to you. I do not charge travelling time, but if you are a reasonable distance then I may charge for fuel.
- If you come to me, then there is no minimum time/charge. If you only want a single hour, then that’s all you need to book.
- If I come to you, then there is normally a minimum time/charge which would vary depending upon location. Please contact me for details.
- There is no minimum age limit but you will be using moving machinery and sharp tools. Children would therefore need to have a mature and responsible attitude.
- I carry insurance for teaching and am DBS cleared.
To book, simply drop me an email through my contact form and I will get back to you. If you actually want to arrange a date, then it’s probably easiest to include a phone number.