Yes, I do give lessons. It doesn’t matter whether you’ve never turned anything before or whether you’ve turned for a while.
- You may have seen me or others turning and thought I’d like to try that
- Perhaps you want to treat someone to a few hours as an “experience” day.
- You may be considering woodturning as a hobby. If so, I’d recommend a few lessons just to make sure that you like it before you invest in any equipment.
- You may have done some turning before, but many years ago and want a simple refresher.
- You may be a turner and just need to brush up on a particular skill.
What you need to know
- My workshop has limited space and all lessons are therefore one-to-one. If you want to bring a friend you are welcome, but if you both want to have a go, then only one person can be on the lathe at a time.
- I do not teach a set syllabus or course, but tailor each lesson specifically to the pupil and what you make during the lesson(s) will depend largely on your own preferences. It would also depend on why you are having the lesson(s). If you are a beginner then please note that any first projects will be quite basic.
- I prefer to give lessons during normal working hours, but can make exceptions if necessary. I do have a life beyond woodturning, so evenings and Saturdays (I do not teach on Sundays) tend to taken up with other things and you will need to book these further in advance than normal weekdays.
- All lessons are charged at a rate of £25 per hour (£30 per hour from 1st April 2019). Timber is included, but any craft parts may be charged for.
- Most pupils come to me (Knebworth) and use my lathe and tools. If you have your own turning tools, then please bring them. Even if you don’t use them, we can make sure that you know how to sharpen them correctly. Coffee or tea is always available and if you are coming for a half day or longer then I’ll also provide a light lunch.
- If you have your own lathe and tools, then I am also happy to come to you. If you are reasonably local, then I do not charge for travelling time or fuel.
- If you come to me, then there is no minimum time/charge. If you only want a single hour, then that’s all you need to book. If you want to book 4 hours or more, you may wish to consider splitting in into a couple of shorter sessions.
- If I come to you, then there is normally a minimum time/charge which would vary depending upon location. Please contact me for details.
- There is no minimum age limit but you will be using moving machinery and sharp tools. Children would therefore need to have a mature and responsible attitude.
- Please come dressed appropriately:
- Do not come in your best clothes – you will get covered in shavings and dust.
- Wear something with a high neckline to avoid shavings going down inside your clothes.
- Cuffs should be tight fitting or elasticated.
- The outer layer of clothing should be smooth woven. Fleeces, knitwear and similar materials are NOT suitable as shavings will be very difficult to remove.
- I have a heater in my workshop but it is not very efficient, so add an extra layer of two in winter!
- I will provide safety goggles and dust mask.
- I carry insurance for teaching and am DBS cleared.
To book, simply drop me an email through my contact form and I will get back to you. If you actually want to arrange a date, then it’s probably easiest to include a phone number.
If you would like to give someone a present with a difference, then why not get them some wooodturning lessons. I will always make sure that my pupils go away with something that they have made, even if they only come for an hour. However, there is not a great deal that can be done in just one hour and I would probably suggest at least 2 hours as a starter. To buy a voucher, simply:
- Contact me through my contact form and let me know how many hours you want to buy.
- I’ll then send you an electronic invoice which you can pay by PayPal or any debit/credit card.
- I will then email you the voucher which you can print off (or I’ll post a copy if you prefer).
- They can then call or email me to arrange a date for their lessons.